[Numpy-discussion] nasty bug in 1.8.0??

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Mon Dec 2 14:56:33 EST 2013

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 11:35 AM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think that behavior is acceptable.

That's... too bad? I'm not sure what your objection actually is.

It's an intentional change (though disabled by default in 1.8), and a
necessary step to rationalizing our definition of contiguity and
stride handling in general, which has a number of benefits:
  http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy-dev/release.html#npy-relaxed-strides-checking
  http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/reference/arrays.ndarray.html#internal-memory-layout-of-an-ndarray

Why do you care about the stride of an array with only 1 element,
where by definition you never use the stride?

--
Nathaniel J. Smith
http://vorpus.org