[Numpy-discussion] -ffast-math

Francesc Alted francesc at continuum.io
Tue Dec 3 05:40:55 EST 2013

On 12/2/13, 12:14 AM, Dan Goodman wrote:
> Dan Goodman <dg.gmane <at> thesamovar.net> writes:
>> I got around 5x slower. Using numexpr 'dumbly' (i.e. just putting the
>> expression in directly) was slower than the function above, but doing a
>> hybrid between the two approaches worked well:
>>
>> def timefunc_numexpr_smart():
>>      _sin_term = sin(2.0*freq*pi*t)
>>      _exp_term = exp(-dt/tau)
>>      _a_term = (_sin_term-_sin_term*_exp_term)
>>      _const_term = -b*_exp_term + b
>>      v[:] = numexpr.evaluate('a*_a_term+v*_exp_term+_const_term')
>>      #numexpr.evaluate('a*_a_term+v*_exp_term+_const_term', out=v)
>>
>> This was about 3.5x slower than weave. If I used the commented out final
>> line then it was only 1.5x slower than weave, but it also gives wrong
>> results. I reported this as a bug in numexpr a long time ago but I guess it
>> hasn't been fixed yet (or maybe I didn't upgrade my version recently).
> I just upgraded numexpr to 2.2 where they did fix this bug, and now the
> 'smart' numexpr version runs exactly as fast as weave (so I guess there were
> some performance enhancements in numexpr as well).

Err no, there have not been performance improvements in numexpr since
2.0 (that I am aware of).  Maybe you are running in a multi-core machine
now and you are seeing better speedup because of this?  Also, your
expressions are made of transcendental functions, so linking numexpr
with MKL could accelerate computations a good deal too.

--
Francesc Alted