[Numpy-discussion] Deprecate boolean math operators?

Alexander Belopolsky ndarray at mac.com
Thu Dec 5 18:49:31 EST 2013

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 5:37 PM, Sebastian Berg
<sebastian at sipsolutions.net>wrote:

> For the moment I saw one "annoying" change in
> numpy, and that is `abs(x - y)` being used for allclose and working
> nicely currently.

It would probably be an improvement if allclose returned all(x == y) unless
one of the arguments is inexact.  At the moment allclose() fails for char
arrays:

>>> allclose('abc', 'abc')
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "numpy/core/numeric.py", line 2114, in allclose
    xinf = isinf(x)
TypeError: Not implemented for this type