[Numpy-discussion] distributing wheels & SSE/superpack options

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 15:28:55 EST 2013

On 6 December 2013 20:09, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
>> 2. in the absence of statistics, can we do an experiment by putting one
>> wheel up on PyPi which contains SSE3 instructions, for python 3.3 I propose,
>> and seeing for how many (if any) users this goes wrong?
>

> sounds good -- it looks like SSE3 has been around a good while:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE3
>
> 8+ years is a pretty long time in computer land!
>
> anyone know how long SSE3 has been around?

I don't have statistics but I do have a couple of data points. Both of
the computers I regularly use (my work desktop and my girlfriend's
laptop) have SSE2 but not SSE3.

Really I'm not sure that releasing a potentially compatible binary -
with no install time checks - is such a good idea. What we really want
is a situation where you can confidently advise someone to just "pip
install numpy" without caveats i.e. a solution that "just works".

Oscar