[Numpy-discussion] building 32 bit numpy on 64 bit linux

David Jones david.jones74 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 13:07:15 EST 2013

On 12/13/13 13:48, Julian Taylor wrote:
> On 13.12.2013 18:46, David Jones wrote:
>>
>> Correction. Of course LD_LIBRARY_PATH isn't seen by the compiler. It
>> only applies at run time. How embarrasing:) This isn't the first time
>> I've been bitten by that.
>>
>> I don't mind doing that with manual builds, but what about with pip? Is
>> there a way to avoid explicitly setting the library path every time you
>> call pip, when using a custom python install?
>>
> why are you actually doing this?
>
> the easiest way to get 32 bit binaries for any program is simply using a
> 32 bit chroot to build them.
> This is trivial to do on a debian based systems:
>
> pbuilder-dist i386 unstable create
> pbuilder-dist i386 unstable login
> # install dependencies and build as usual

I'm on Centos 6, but I imagine it's not that hard there either. I am
doing all this in a chroot, but it's 64 bit.

The purpose is to use python (via cython) for testing libraries built on
a 64 bit CentOS system. It's much faster than running all the tests
directly in C, because I can do everything interactively in ipython.
However, the libraries are built 32 bit. WIth the simpler components I
can just rebuild them as 64-bit, but with others that gets pretty
complicated.

  To use a more current version of Python on CentOS I have to build it
myself, and the simplest way to keep it up to date is using pip.
However, pip installs everything from source. I ran into trouble
installing numpy, but I imagine I'd have similar problems with other
packages.

I figure I can set the necessary environment variables in the
virtualenv, and then pip should work.

Anyways, thanks for your help.