[Numpy-discussion] repeat array in a fake dim without stride_tricks ?

Sebastian Berg sebastian at sipsolutions.net
Wed Dec 18 07:20:26 EST 2013

On Tue, 2013-12-17 at 16:41 +0100, Pierre Haessig wrote:
> Le 13/12/2013 13:45, Sebastian Berg a écrit :
> >> What are the other options for such a repeat ?
> > No, I don't think there are any other options. stride tricks are a bit
> > hidden, since in many cases it is more dangerous than helping.
> > Though with some care you can easily implement such functions using
> > stride_tricks.
> Thanks !
> Since it's in a buried helper function, I could use stride tricks. But
> for now I'll stick with broadcast_arrays because I have it working.
>
> Maybe the np.repeat function could be changed to avoid copying (when
> possible) ?

I doubt it fits repeat well, since repeat also allows for repetition of
single elements. The repeats that could be done like this are a few of
the many ways repeat can be used. What may make sense is to add one or
two thought out functions for common `as_strided` use cases, which
always return valid arrays...

- Sebastian