[Numpy-discussion] Any plans for windows 64-bit installer for 1.7?

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 15:55:04 EST 2013

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 9:39 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 12:36 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Ondřej Čertík <ondrej.certik at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> The installer is built with this VM/scripts:
> >>
> >> https://github.com/certik/numpy-vendor
> >>
> >> currently the VM itself is 32 bit. I think that might be upgraded to
> 64bit,
> >> and maybe it's possible to use 64 bit Wine:
> >>
> >> http://wiki.winehq.org/Wine64
> >>
> >> but then we would need to figure out how to use Mingw with 64 bits.
> >>
> >> I would be very happy to accept patches to the above repository.
> >>
> >> Alternatively, if the actual Windows 64bit machine would have to be
> used,
> >> is there any way to automate the process? Would you compile it from
> command line
> >> (cmd.exe), just like I do in Wine? I would much prefer if we can figure
> out
> >> how to do this in Wine, so that the process can be automated and other
> people
> >> can easily reproduce it.
> >
> > I wonder whether getting ming64 to work on 64 bit Wine is too hard to
> > get working before the release?  I often can't get 32-bit Wine
> > working, and we've apparently got problems with mingw64 on native
> > windows.
> >
> > As a short term fix, how about an Amazon image with the Windows 64 bit
> > compilers on it?

-1 on providing an "official" solution which will require admin rights for
the produced installer and not work for scipy.

> > Or can Christophe Gohlke help us out here?
>
> As a temporary measure it might make sense to just deem the cgolke
> builds official and upload them to the usual places -- or at least, it
> seems like it might make sense to me, but it depends on what
> Christophe thinks :-).

I'm +0 on that. MSVC + MKL is currently the only real option for 64-bit
binaries, so providing Christoph's installers as "official" could make
sense. On the other hand, Christoph has a matching set of other packages on
his site, so users will be better off being redirected there than just
grabbing only a numpy installer from SF and not finding a scipy one there.

Ralf