[Numpy-discussion] Any plans for windows 64-bit installer for 1.7?

Ondřej Čertík ondrej.certik at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 15:57:06 EST 2013

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 12:36 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Ondřej Čertík <ondrej.certik at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The problem has no solution until we can restrict support to windows 7
>>> and above. Otherwise, any acceptable solution would require user to be
>>> an admin.
>>
>> The installer is built with this VM/scripts:
>>
>> https://github.com/certik/numpy-vendor
>>
>> currently the VM itself is 32 bit. I think that might be upgraded to 64bit,
>> and maybe it's possible to use 64 bit Wine:
>>
>> http://wiki.winehq.org/Wine64
>>
>> but then we would need to figure out how to use Mingw with 64 bits.
>>
>> I would be very happy to accept patches to the above repository.
>>
>> Alternatively, if the actual Windows 64bit machine would have to be used,
>> is there any way to automate the process? Would you compile it from command line
>> (cmd.exe), just like I do in Wine? I would much prefer if we can figure out
>> how to do this in Wine, so that the process can be automated and other people
>> can easily reproduce it.
>
> I wonder whether getting ming64 to work on 64 bit Wine is too hard to
> get working before the release?  I often can't get 32-bit Wine
> working,

Yep, it took me over a week of work to figure out exactly how to get
32-bit Wine working
with mingw and numpy. However, the work is done and you can either run
my scripts
in the VM, or you can easily reproduce it yourself by consulting the scripts:

https://github.com/certik/numpy-vendor/blob/master/setup-wine.sh
https://github.com/certik/numpy-vendor/blob/master/fabfile.py

There are a lot of little tricks involved.

However, as Ralf says, apparently we would need to use MSVC + MKL anyway
on 64bits.

Ondrej