[Numpy-discussion] Issues to fix for 1.7.0rc2.

Dag Sverre Seljebotn d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no
Wed Feb 6 04:18:39 EST 2013

On 02/06/2013 08:41 AM, Charles R Harris wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 11:50 PM, Jason Grout
> <jason-sage at creativetrax.com <mailto:jason-sage at creativetrax.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 2/6/13 12:46 AM, Charles R Harris wrote:
>      > if we decide to do so
>
>     I should mention that we don't really depend on either behavior (we
>     probably should have a better doctest testing for an array of None
>     values anyway), but we noticed the oddity and thought we ought to
>     mention it.  So it doesn't matter to us which way the decision goes.
>

> More Python craziness
>
> In [6]: print None or 0
> 0
>
> In [7]: print 0 or None
> None

To me this seems natural and is just how Python works? I think the rule
for "or" is simply "evaluate __nonzero__ of left operand, if it is
False, return right operand".

The reason is so that you can use it like this:

x = get_foo() or get_bar() # if get_foo() returns None
                            # use result of get_bar

or

def f(x=None):
     x = x or create_default_x()

I guess that after the "a if expr else b" was introduced this has become
less common.

Dag Sverre