[Numpy-discussion] Any plans for windows 64-bit installer for 1.7?

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 13:48:40 EST 2013

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 1:32 AM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 3:04 PM, Christoph Gohlke <cgohlke at uci.edu> wrote:
> > On 2/5/2013 10:51 AM, Matthew Brett wrote:
> >> Hi,

> matthew.brett at gmail.com>

> ralf.gommers at gmail.com>

> you

> anyone
> Intel

> http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-math-kernel-library-licensing-faq#eula1

> would be a

> >> In order not to leave this discussion without a resolution:
> >>
> >> Christophe - would you allow us to distribute your numpy binaries for
> >> 1.7 from the numpy sourceforge page?
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> Matthew
> >

> > I am OK with providing 64 bit "numpy-MKL" binaries (that is numpy
> > compiled with MSVC compilers and linked to Intel's MKL) for official
> > numpy releases.
>
> Thank you - that is great.
>
> > However:
> >
> > 1) There seems to be no real consensus and urge for doing this.
>
> I certainly feel the urge and feel it strongly. As a packager for two
> or three projects myself, it's a royal pain having to tell someone to
> go to two different places for binaries depending on the number of
> bits of their Windows.

If you're relying on .exe installers on SF, then you have to send your
users to more places than that probably. Really the separate installers are
a poor alternative to the available scientific distributions. And the more
packages you need as a user, the more annoying these separate installers
are.

>  I think Chuck was worried about the time it
> would take to do it, and I think you've already solved this problem.
> Ralf was worried about Scipy - see below.

Not just Scipy - that would be my worry number one, but the same holds for
all packages based on Numpy. You double the number of Windows installers
that every single project needs to provide.

> > Using a
> > free toolchain capable of building the whole scipy-stack would be much
> > preferred.
>
> That's true, but there seems general agreement this is not practical
> in the very near future.
>
> > Several 64 bit Python distributions containing numpy-MKL are
> > already available, some for free.
>
> You mean EPD and AnacondaCE?   I don't think we should withhold easily
> available vanilla builds because they are also available in
> company-sponsored projects.  Python.org provides windows builds even
> though ActiveState is free-as-in-beer.

If the company-sponsored bit bothers you, there's also a 64-bit Python(x,y)
now.

Ralf