[Numpy-discussion] Any plans for windows 64-bit installer for 1.7?

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 01:10:10 EST 2013

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 9:20 PM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
<d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no> wrote:
> On 02/07/2013 12:16 AM, Matthew Brett wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 1:36 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Indeed. And since many packages won't do that because there's no free
>>> compilers, users just get stuck a bit later in the "installing the stack"
>>> process. I'm sure providing the binaries will help some people, but I expect
>>> it to cause as many problems as it solves.
>>
>> Can you clarify the people you think will get stuck?  I think I'm
>> right in saying that anyone with a C extension should be able to build
>> them against numpy, by installing the free (as-in-beer) MS tools?  So
>> do you just mean people needing a Fortran compiler?  That's a small
>> constituency, I think.
>
> Off the top of my head there's SciPy and pymc...

We covered Scipy a while back in this thread.  The proposal was that
Christophe also supply these.

Perhaps we can at least agree that the large majority of numpy-based
projects that require compilation do not need FORTRAN.  And if they
do, then, as Chris said, they are likely to have sophisticated
developers who are not likely to be confused by a new Windows build
for numpy.

> Anyway, I'm butting in because I wish this discussion could separate
> between the user perspective and the developer perspective.
>
> FWIW,
>
> 1) From a user's perspective, I don't understand this either. If you are
> already using a closed source, not-free-as-in-beer operating system, why
> would you not use (or buy!) a closed source, not-free-as-in-beer Fortran
> compiler?

I think you might be asking whether Windows users care about having
free (beer and or freedom) software?   I think the answer to this is
yes.  As indeed OSX users care about having free software.

> 2) BUT, the argument I've seen that I can at least understand is that
> the release manager should be able to do a release using only open
> source tools (even using Wine instead of Windows) and not rely on a
> limited number of licenses. And that the release manager must be able to
> perform all the official builds directly.

I haven't heard that argument made.  I've heard the general wish that
we could build numpy with open-source tools.  I haven't heard anyone
assert that we won't release anything that can't be build with
open-source tools.  Python itself is not built with open-source tools,
so I can't personally see the reason for this restriction.   Perhaps
you can explain it?

I haven't heard the argument that the release manager should be able
to make all the builds.  That would be nice, obviously, but as an
absolute rule it seems unnecessary.   For example, is it your
understanding that all the Python builds are made by the same person?
Why would we want to be more restrictive than that?

I don't know if anyone has estimated the number of people running
Numpy via windows, but I notice from the download stats on
Sourceforge, that there are around 800 downloads of OSX binary
installers and over 4000 downloads of windows binaries.

To be clear, what we seem to be heading for at the moment is this:

* We have a experienced builder in Christophe building Windows 64
binaries for numpy and scipy
* He has offered us at least Numpy and maybe Scipy
* We are saying no to this zero-cost-to-us build because of one of the
following reasons

1) Anyone using Windows 64 should be using EPD or AnacondaCE [1].  To
enforce this we should not provide our own build
2) If we provide a Windows 64 build then other people will have to
provide them too
3) We insist for some reason on only using open-source build tools
4) We insist for some reason that the release manager personally
builds all the builds.

This means that there is no way that I has a packager of - say - nipy
- can give you a binary installer for Windows 64 bits without making
you install one of (Christophe's builds, EPD, AnacondaCE).   Which one
should I build and installer for?  All three?  You have to give up
your Python.org python to use my package?

We are, because of this, leaving more than half of what appears to be
our largest user base without a standard binary installer.

I suppose, in 6 months time, someone will look for a Windows 64 bit
installer, and they will not see one, and they think 'I wonder why?'.
Then they will look at this thread.  I wonder if they'll think we made
the right decision or not.

Cheers,

Matthew

[1] I can't find a 64-bit Python X Y but maybe one exists.