[Numpy-discussion] Any plans for windows 64-bit installer for 1.7?

Ondřej Čertík ondrej.certik at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 01:35:09 EST 2013

Christoph,

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 3:04 PM, Christoph Gohlke <cgohlke at uci.edu> wrote:
[...]
>> In order not to leave this discussion without a resolution:
>>
>> Christophe - would you allow us to distribute your numpy binaries for
>> 1.7 from the numpy sourceforge page?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Matthew
>

> I am OK with providing 64 bit "numpy-MKL" binaries (that is numpy
> compiled with MSVC compilers and linked to Intel's MKL) for official
> numpy releases.
>
> However:
>
> 1) There seems to be no real consensus and urge for doing this. Using a
> free toolchain capable of building the whole scipy-stack would be much
> preferred. Several 64 bit Python distributions containing numpy-MKL are
> already available, some for free.
>
> 2) Releasing 64 bit numpy without matching scipy binaries would make
> little sense to me.
>
> 3) Please do not just redistribute the binaries from my website and
> declare them official. They might contain unreleased fixes from git
> master and pull requests that are needed for my work and other packages.
>
> 4) Numpy-MKL requires the Intel runtime DLLs (MKL is linked statically
> btw). I ship those with the installers and append the directory
> containing the DLLs to os.environ['PATH'] in numpy/__init__.py. This is
> a big no-no according to numpy developers. I don't agree. Anyway, those
> changes are not in the numpy source repositories.
>
> 5) My numpy-MKL installers are Python distutils bdist_wininst
> installers. That means if Python was installed for all users, installing
> numpy-MKL on Windows >6.0 will prompt for UAC elevation. Another no-no?

I think that all these things should be possible to fix so that the
binary is acceptable
for the official NumPy binary.

How exactly do you build the binaries? I wasn't able to find the info at:

http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/

Do you have some scripts to do that? Do you use PowerShell? Or you do
it by hand by mouse and clicks in Visual Studio somehow? If I can
figure out how to do these builds, I'll be happy to figure out how to
automate it and then we can try to figure out a solution that works
for NumPy.

Ondrej