[Numpy-discussion] NumPy 1.7.0 for MeeGo Harmattan OS

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 11:20:32 EST 2013

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 11:40 PM, Roberto Colistete Jr. <
roberto.colistete at gmail.com> wrote:

>      Hi,
>
>      It is my first participation here.
>
>      About NumPy on Mobile OS :
> - NumPy 1.7.0 was released today (11/02/2013) for MeeGo Harmattan OS
> (for Nokia N9/N950), just 1 day after the mainstream release. See the
> Talk Maemo.org topic :
> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1322503
> MeeGo Harmattan OS also has NumPy 1.4.1 from Nokia repositories :
> http://wiki.maemo.org/Python/Harmattan
> - Maemo 5 OS (Nokia N900) has NumPy 1.4.0 :
> http://maemo.org/packages/view/python-numpy/
>
>      Also for MeeGo Harmattan OS :
> - MatPlotLib 1.2.0 was released (in 09/02/2013) for MeeGo Harmattan OS.
> Including Qt4/PySide backend :
> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1128672
> - IPython 0.13.1, including Notebook and Qt console interfaces, was
> released in 22/01/2013. See the Talk Maemo.org topic :
> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1123672
> It can work as an IPython Notebook server , with web clients running on
> Android, desktop OS, etc via via WiFi hotspot of Nokia N9/N950.
>
>      See my blog article comparing scientific Python tools for
> computers, tablets and smartphones :
>
> http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=pt-BR&sl=pt&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Frobertocolistete.wordpress.com%2F2012%2F12%2F26%2Fpython-cientifico-em-computadores-tablets-e-smartphones%2F
>

>      The conclusion is very simple : real mobile Linux OS (with glibc,
> X11, dependencies, etc) are better for scientific Python. Like Maemo 5
> OS and MeeGo Harmattan OS. And future Sailfish OS and Ubuntu Phone OS
> can follow the same path.

Thanks for the report and the packaging!

I'm still using a phone that doesn't know how to do anything but call other
phones, but if I'd want to get a smarter phone then one that gives me
mobile NumPy without any trouble would definitely be nice.

Cheers,
Ralf