[Numpy-discussion] Tabular package updated to v0.1

Elaine Angelino elaine.angelino at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 17:25:41 EST 2013

Hi there,

We are writing to announce that we've updated "Tabular" to v0.1.

Tabular is a package of Python modules for working with tabular data.
Its main object is the tabarray class, a data structure for holding
and manipulating tabular data. By putting data into a tabarray object,
you’ll get a representation of the data that is more flexible and
powerful than a native Python representation. More specifically,
tabarray provides:

-- ultra-fast filtering, selection, and numerical analysis methods,
using convenient Matlab-style matrix operation syntax
-- spreadsheet-style operations, including row & column operations,
'sort', 'replace', 'aggregate', 'pivot', and 'join'
-- flexible load and save methods for a variety of file formats,
including delimited text (CSV), binary, and HTML
-- helpful inference algorithms for determining formatting parameters
and data types of input files

You can download Tabular from PyPI
(http://pypi.python.org/pypi/tabular/) or alternatively clone our git
repository from github (http://github.com/yamins81/tabular).  We also
have posted tutorial-style Sphinx documentation
(http://web.mit.edu/yamins/www/tabular/).

The tabarray object is based on the record array object from the
Numerical Python package (NumPy), and Tabular is built to interface
well with NumPy in general.  Our intended audience is two-fold: (1)
Python users who, though they may not be familiar with NumPy, are in
need of a way to work with tabular data, and (2) NumPy users who would
like to do spreadsheet-style operations on top of their more
"numerical" work.

We hope that some of you find Tabular useful!

Best,

Elaine and Dan