[Numpy-discussion] a question about freeze on numpy 1.7.0

Ondřej Čertík ondrej.certik at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 20:16:47 EST 2013

Hi Gelin,

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 12:08 AM, Gelin Yan <dynamicgl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All
>
>      When I used numpy 1.7.0 with cx_freeze 4.3.1 on windows, I quickly
> found out even a simple "import numpy" may lead to program failed with
> following exception:
>
> "AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'sys'
>
> After a poking around some codes I noticed /numpy/core/__init__.py has a
> line 'del sys' at the bottom. After I commented this line, and repacked the
> whole program, It ran fine.
> I also noticed this 'del sys' didn't exist on numpy 1.6.2
>
> I am curious why this 'del sys' should be here and whether it is safe to
> omit it. Thanks.

The "del sys" line was introduced in the commit:

https://github.com/numpy/numpy/commit/4c0576fe9947ef2af8351405e0990cebd83ccbb6

and it seems to me that it is needed so that the numpy.core namespace is not
cluttered by it.

Can you post the full stacktrace of your program (and preferably some
instructions
how to reproduce the problem)? It should become clear where the problem is.

Thanks,
Ondrej