[Numpy-discussion] polyfit in NumPy v1.7

David Pine djpine at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 09:40:40 EST 2013

Chuck,

Thanks for the quick reply.

1.  I see your point about zero weights but the code in its current form
doesn't take into account zero weights in counting the degrees of freedom,
as you point out, so it seems to me like a moot point.  More importantly,
the documentation doesn't explain what the weights variable w is.  In some
implementations of least square fitting it is 1/sigma^2 while in this one
it's 1/sigma.  At the very least, the documentation should be more
explicit.  How does one go about changing the documentation?

2.  I am sorry but I don't understand your response.  The matrix Vbase in
the code is already the covariance matrix, _before_ it is scaled by fac.
 Scaling it by fac and returning  Vbase*fac as the covariance matrix is
wrong, at least according to the references I know, including "Numerical
Recipes", by Press et al, "Data Reduction and Error Analysis for the
Physical Sciences" by Bevington, both standard works.

Dave

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 9:03 AM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com