[Numpy-discussion] Which Python to use for Mac binaries

Ondřej Čertík ondrej.certik at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 21:09:50 EST 2013

On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 2:40 PM, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal
<chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 2:04 AM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Which exact Python do we need to use on Mac? Do we need to use the
>>> binary installer from python.org?
>>
>> Yes, the one from python.org.
>>
>>> Or can I install it from source?
>
> you could install from source using the same method that the
> python.org binaries are built -- there is a script with the source to
> do that, though I'm not sure what the point of that would be.

Is it possible to install the dmg images without root access from the
command line?

I know how to access the contents:

$ hdiutil attach python-2.7.3-macosx10.6.dmg
$ ls /Volumes/Python\ 2.7.3/
Build.txt	License.txt	Python.mpkg	ReadMe.txt

But I am not currently sure what to do with it. The Python.mpkg
directory seems to contain the sources.

I have access to Vincent's computer, as suggested by Ralf and it is
already setup, so I am using it.
But I am not able (so far) to replicate the setup there so that I can
create the binaries on any other Mac
computer, which makes me feel really uneasy.

By replicating the setup, at least once (preferably automated) would
make me understand things much better.
If possible, I would prefer to just use a command line (ssh) to do all
that. (So that's maybe building from source
is the only option.)

Ondrej