[Numpy-discussion] Which Python to use for Mac binaries

Ondřej Čertík ondrej.certik at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 01:23:08 EST 2013

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 8:41 PM, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal
<chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 6:09 PM, Ondřej Čertík <ondrej.certik at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is it possible to install the dmg images without root access from the
>> command line?
>
> I've never tried, but it looks like you can:
>
> http://www.commandlinefu.com/commands/view/2031/install-an-mpkg-from-the-command-line-on-osx

This requires root access. Without sudo, I get:

$ installer -pkg /Volumes/Python\ 2.7.3/Python.mpkg/ -target ondrej
installer: This package requires authentication to install.

and since I don't have root access, it doesn't work.

So one way around it would be to install python from source, that
shouldn't require root access.

>> But I am not currently sure what to do with it. The Python.mpkg
>> directory seems to contain the sources.
>
> yup -- that's where everything is. the "installer" command should be
> able to unpack it.

Ok.

>> By replicating the setup, at least once (preferably automated) would
>> make me understand things much better.
>> If possible, I would prefer to just use a command line (ssh) to do all
>> that. (So that's maybe building from source
>> is the only option.)
>
> If you ndo need to build from source, see this message for a bit more info:
>
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pythonmac-sig/2012-October/023742.html
>
> there are a few prerequisites you need to install first...
>
> Either way, you should be able to build a start-to-finish build script.

Yes, that would be my goal eventually. Without root access.
But right now, I am not even sure it's possible.

So for now I'll simply use already pre-configured box.

Ondrej