[Numpy-discussion] add .H attribute?

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 16:49:18 EDT 2013

On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 9:28 AM, Alan G Isaac <alan.isaac at gmail.com> wrote:

> With numpy arrays, I miss being able to spell a.conj().T as a.H,
> as one can with numpy matrices.
>
> Is adding this attribute to arrays ever under consideration?

There was a long thread about this back around 1.1 or so, long time ago in
any case. IIRC correctly, Travis was opposed. I think part of the problem
was that arr.T is a view, but arr.H would not be. Probably it could be be
made to return an iterator that performed the conjugation, or we could
simply return a new array. I'm not opposed myself, but I'd have to review
the old discussion to see if there was good reason not to have it in the
first place. I think the original discussion of an abs method took place
about the same time.

Chuck