[Numpy-discussion] nansum, nanmean, nanvar, nanstd

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 21:46:54 EDT 2013

Hi All,

I've been working on Benjamin's PR, which I took down as he didn't have
time to finish it. I've made the following changes and thought I'd run them
past others before putting up a new pull request.

   1. The new functions are consolidated with the old ones inn (new)
   numpy/lib/nanfunctions.py.
   2. There is a new test module numpy/lib/tests/test_nanfunctions.py
   3. The functions punt to standard routines if the array is not inexact.
   4. If the array is inexact, then so must be the optional out and dtype
   arguments.
   5. Nans are returned for all nan axis, no warnings are raised.
   6. If cnt - ddof <= 0 the result is Nan for that axis, no warnings are
   raised.
   7. For scalar returns the type of the array, or the type given by the
   dtype option, is preserved.

Number 7 does not hold for current mean, var, and std. I propose that those
functions be fixed.

Chuck