[Numpy-discussion] User Guide

Rob Clewley rob.clewley at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 18:21:24 EDT 2013

Hi,

I see the desire for stylistic improvement by removing the awkward
parens but your correction has incorrect grammar. One cannot have
"arrays of Python," nor are Numpy objects a subset of "Python"
(because Python is not a set) -- both of which are what your sentence
technically states. I.e., the commas are in the wrong place. You could
say

"The exception: one can have arrays of python objects (including those
from numpy) thereby allowing for arrays of different sized elements."

but I think it is even clear to just unpack this a bit more with

"The exception: one can have arrays of python objects, including numpy
objects, which allows arrays to contain different sized elements."

In my experience, attempting to be extremely concise in technical
writing is a common cause of awkward grammar problems like this. I do
it all the time :)

-Rob