[Numpy-discussion] add .H attribute?

Sebastian Haase seb.haase at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 09:30:48 EDT 2013

On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 12:36 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 4:18 PM, Stéfan van der Walt <stefan at sun.ac.za> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 7:46 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
>> > Why not just write
>> >
>> > def H(a):
>> >     return a.conj().T
>>
>> It's hard to convince students that this is the Best Way of doing
>> things in NumPy.  Why, they ask, can you do it using a' in MATLAB,
>> then?
>>
>> I've tripped over this one before, since it's not the kind of thing
>> you imagine would be unimplemented, and then spend some time trying to
>> find it.
>

> +1 for adding a H attribute.
>
> Here's the end of the old discussion Chuck referred to: >http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.numeric.general/6637.  No strong arguments against and then
> several more votes in favor.

Are there other precedents where an attribute would involve
data-copying ? I'm thinking that numpy generally does better than
matlab by being more explicit about it's memory usage...
(But, I'm no mathematician and I could see it beeing much of a
convenience to have .H )

My two cents,
Sebastian Haase