[Numpy-discussion] add .H attribute?

Alan G Isaac alan.isaac at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 18:22:15 EDT 2013

On 7/23/2013 5:08 PM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn wrote:
> I disagree with this being forward looking, as it explicitly creates a
> situation where code will break if .H becomes a view

Well yes, we cannot have everything.
Just like it is taking a while for ``diagonal``
to transition to providing a view, this would
be true for .H when the time comes.  Naturally,
this would be documented (that it may change
to a view).  Just as it is documented with
``diagonal``.

But it is nevertheless forward looking in an
obvious sense: it provides access to an
extremely convenient and much more readable
notation that will in any case eventually
be available.  Also, the current context is
the matrices and masked arrays have this
attribute, so this transitional issue already
exists.

Out of curiosity: do you use NumPy to work with
complex arrays?

Alan