[Numpy-discussion] add .H attribute?

Alan G Isaac alan.isaac at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 18:30:42 EDT 2013

On 7/23/2013 5:32 PM, josef.pktd at gmail.com wrote:
> Do we really need a one letter shorthand for `a.conj().T` ?

One way to assess this would be to propose removing
it from matrix and masked array objects.  If the
yelping is loud enough, there is apparently need.
I suspect the yelping would be pretty loud.  Indeed,
the reason I started this thread is that I'm using
the matrix object less and less, and I definitely
miss the .H attribute it offers.

In any case, need is the wrong criterion.  The question is,
do the gains in readability, consistency (across
objects), convenience, and advertising appeal
(e.g., to those used to other languages) outweigh
the costs?

It's a cost benefit analysis.  Obviously some people
think the costs outweigh the benefits and others
say they do not.  We should look for a ways to
determine which group has the better case.  This
discussion has made me much more inclined to believe
it is a good idea to add this attribute.

I agree that it would be an even better idea to
add it as an iterative view, but nobody seems to
feel that can happen quickly.

Alan