[Numpy-discussion] add .H attribute?

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Wed Jul 24 02:53:56 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 2:15 AM, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal
<chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 6:09 AM, Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi> wrote:
>
> > The .H property has been implemented in Numpy matrices and Scipy's
> > sparse matrices for many years.
>
> Then we're done. Numpy  is an array package, NOT a matrix package, and
> while you can implement matrix math with arrays (and we do), having
> quick and easy mnemonics for common matrix math operations (but
> uncommon general purpose array operations) is not eh job of numpy.
> That's what the matrix object is for.

I would argue that the ship sailed when we added .T already.  Most
users see no difference between the addition of .T and .H.

The matrix class should probably be deprecated and removed from NumPy
in the long run--being a second class citizen not used by the
developers themselves is not sustainable.  And, now that we have "dot"
as a method, there's very little advantage to it.

Stéfan