[Numpy-discussion] 1.8 release update

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 09:40:26 EDT 2013

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 11:47 PM, Charles R Harris <
charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Most of the PR's that were mentioned as desirable for the 1.8 release have
> been merged, or look to be merged in the next week or two. The current list
> of blockers<https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues?milestone=1&page=1&state=open>doesn't look to severe to me but I suspect that it is incomplete.

Indeed nothing serious there. I added a ticket for the timezone issue,
https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/3388.

> The major outstanding issue I see is datetime and I'd like to get a small
> group together to work that out. As a start I think such a group should
> include Christopher Barker and Wes McKinney. Suggestions for other folks,
> or even volunteers, to be part of such a group are welcome.
>
> A lot of stuff has piled up over the last year for inclusion in the 1.8
> release, and I'm sure some bugs and regressions  have crept in along with
> the new code. On that account a lengthy wringing out period is probably
> going to be needed, so the sooner we can get the 1.8 branch tagged the
> better. I'd like to shoot for getting that done in 2-3 weeks.

How does that match with getting the datetime situation sorted out? I don't
think we're in a hurry with branching before we at least have an idea about
what to do about datetime. Other than that, soonish sounds good to me. We
should make an attempt to merge PRs that have been open for a while though.

Ralf