[Numpy-discussion] polyfit with fixed points

Jaime Fernández del Río jaime.frio at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 19:23:46 EST 2013

A couple of days back, answering a question in StackExchange (
http://stackoverflow.com/a/15196628/110026), I found myself using Lagrange
multipliers to fit a polynomial with least squares to data, making sure it
went through some fixed points. This time it was relatively easy, because
some 5 years ago I came across the same problem in real life, and spent the
better part of a week banging my head against it. Even knowing what you are
doing, it is far from simple, and in my own experience very useful: I think
the only time ever I have fitted a polynomial to data with a definite
purpose, it required that some points were fixed.

Seeing that polyfit is entirely coded in python, it would be relatively
straightforward to add support for fixed points. It is also something I
feel capable, and willing, of doing.

 * Is such an additional feature something worthy of investigating, or will
it never find its way into numpy.polyfit?
 * Any ideas on the best syntax for the extra parameters?

Thanks,

Jaime

--
(\__/)