[Numpy-discussion] Numpy deprecation schedule

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 17:33:52 EST 2013

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 8:09 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
> A number of items on the 1.8 todo list are reminders to remove things
> that we deprecated in 1.7, and said we would remove in 1.8, e.g.:
>   https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/596
>   https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/294
>
> But, since 1.8 is so soon after 1.7, we probably shouldn't actually do that.
>
> I suggest we switch to a time-based deprecation schedule, where
> instead of saying "this will be removed in N releases" we say "this
> will be removed in the first release on or after (now+N months)".

We can always delay removal if a particular release comes sooner than
originally expected. The deprecation policy is just that we specify
minimum version numbers at which the features can be removed. It's not
really a firm schedule.

I do take your suggestion to heart, though. We shouldn't remove stuff
faster than 12 months or so. I just think that it should modify our
release process, not our "marking for deprecation" process.

--
Robert Kern