[Numpy-discussion] Raveling, reshape order keyword unnecessarily confuses index and memory ordering

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 15:51:17 EDT 2013

Hi,

On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 4:14 AM,  <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 10:08 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We were teaching today, and found ourselves getting very confused
>> about ravel and shape in numpy.
>>
>> Summary
>> --------------
>>
>> There are two separate ideas needed to understand ordering in ravel and reshape:
>>
>> Idea 1): ravel / reshape can proceed from the last axis to the first,
>> or the first to the last.  This is "ravel index ordering"
>> Idea 2) The physical layout of the array (on disk or in memory) can be
>> "C" or "F" contiguous or neither.
>> This is "memory ordering"
>>
>> The index ordering is usually (but see below) orthogonal to the memory ordering.
>>
>> The 'ravel' and 'reshape' commands use "C" and "F" in the sense of
>> index ordering, and this mixes the two ideas and is confusing.
>>
>> What the current situation looks like
>>
>> Specifically, we've been rolling this around 4 experienced numpy users
>> and we all predicted at least one of the results below wrongly.
>>
>> This was what we knew, or should have known:
>>
>> In [2]: import numpy as np
>>
>> In [3]: arr = np.arange(10).reshape((2, 5))
>>
>> In [5]: arr.ravel()
>> Out[5]: array([0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9])
>>
>> So, the 'ravel' operation unravels over the last axis (1) first,
>> followed by axis 0.
>>
>> So far so good (even if the opposite to MATLAB, Octave).
>>
>> Then we found the 'order' flag to ravel:
>>
>> In [10]: arr.flags
>> Out[10]:
>>   C_CONTIGUOUS : True
>>   F_CONTIGUOUS : False
>>   OWNDATA : False
>>   WRITEABLE : True
>>   ALIGNED : True
>>   UPDATEIFCOPY : False
>>
>> In [11]: arr.ravel('C')
>> Out[11]: array([0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9])
>>
>> But we soon got confused.  How about this?
>>
>> In [12]: arr_F = np.array(arr, order='F')
>>
>> In [13]: arr_F.flags
>> Out[13]:
>>   C_CONTIGUOUS : False
>>   F_CONTIGUOUS : True
>>   OWNDATA : True
>>   WRITEABLE : True
>>   ALIGNED : True
>>   UPDATEIFCOPY : False
>>
>> In [16]: arr_F
>> Out[16]:
>> array([[0, 1, 2, 3, 4],
>>        [5, 6, 7, 8, 9]])
>>
>> In [17]: arr_F.ravel('C')
>> Out[17]: array([0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9])
>>
>> Right - so the flag 'C' to ravel, has got nothing to do with *memory*
>> ordering, but is to do with *index* ordering.
>>
>> And in fact, we can ask for memory ordering specifically:
>>
>> In [22]: arr.ravel('K')
>> Out[22]: array([0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9])
>>
>> In [23]: arr_F.ravel('K')
>> Out[23]: array([0, 5, 1, 6, 2, 7, 3, 8, 4, 9])
>>
>> In [24]: arr.ravel('A')
>> Out[24]: array([0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9])
>>
>> In [25]: arr_F.ravel('A')
> [...]

I can only say that 4 out of 4 experienced numpy developers found
themselves unable to predict the behavior of these functions before
they saw the output.

The problem is always that explaining something makes it clearer for a
moment, but, for those who do not have the explanation or who have
forgotten it, at least among us here, the outputs were generating
groans and / or high fives as we incorrectly or correctly guessed what
was going to happen.

I think the only way to find out whether this really is confusing or
not, is to put someone in front of these functions without any
explanation and ask them to predict what is going to come out of the
various inputs and flags.   Or to try and teach it, which was the
problem we were having.

Cheers,

Matthew