[Numpy-discussion] nanmean(), nanstd() and other "missing" functions for 1.8

Benjamin Root ben.root at ou.edu
Wed May 1 09:52:13 EDT 2013

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 1:13 AM, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal <
chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

> > Of course, the documentation for discussed before: np.minmax().  My
> thinking is that it would return a 2xN array
>
> How about a tuple: (min, max)?

I am not familiar enough with numpy internals to know which is the better
approach to implement.  I kind of feel that the 2xN array approach would be
more flexible in case a user wants all of this information in a single
array, while still allowing for unpacking as if it was a tuple.  I would
rather enable unforeseen use-cases rather than needlessly restricting them.

Ben Root