[Numpy-discussion] nanmean(), nanstd() and other "missing" functions for 1.8

Todd toddrjen at gmail.com
Wed May 1 11:13:49 EDT 2013

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 3:36 AM, Benjamin Root <ben.root at ou.edu> wrote:

> Are there any other functions that others feel are "missing" from numpy
> and would like to see for v1.8?  Let's discuss them here.

As I mentioned before, I think numpy should have some equations for dealing
with n-dimensional vectors (but would also work with complex dtypes).  This
would include n-dimensional equivalents of np.abs and np.angle, as well as
a function to go back to an n-dimensional vector from the length and
angle.  Considering how critical vector analysis is to signal processing, I
am surprised these don't already exist.  There aren't even functions that
work with 2-dimensional vectors, you have to construct a complex array
first (which isn't that easy to do).

Speaking of which, I think there should be a function to construct a
complex array out of two identically-shaped floating-point arrays, as well
as perhaps an np.i class that converts a real array to an imaginary one
(using __mul__ and such).