[Numpy-discussion] GSoC : Performance parity between numpy arrays and Python scalars

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Wed May 1 23:28:45 EDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 8:26 PM, Arink Verma <arinkverma at iitrpr.ac.in>wrote:

> Hi all!
> I have written my application[1] for *Performance parity between numpy
> arrays and Python scalars[2]. *It would be a great help if you view it.
> Does it look achievable and deliverable according to the project.
>
> [1]
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2013/arinkverma/40001#
> [2] http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/wiki/SummerofCodeIdeas

Hi Arink,

Have you already done some profiling? That could be tricky at the C level.
I'm also curious about the hash table, what gets hashed and where do you
get the improved efficiency? Admittedly, the way in which ufuncs currently
detect scalars is a bit heavy weight and a fast path for certain inputs
values could help. Is that what you are doing?

As to the schedule, I suspect that it may be a bit ambitious but I don't
see that as fatal by any means. Identifying bottlenecks and experimenting
with solutions would be useful work.

Chuck