[Numpy-discussion] Any plans for windows 64-bit installer for 1.7?

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Mon May 6 05:28:02 EDT 2013

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 6:21 AM, Ondřej Čertík <ondrej.certik at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 9:20 PM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
> <d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no> wrote:
>> On 02/07/2013 12:16 AM, Matthew Brett wrote:
> [...]
>>> Can you clarify the people you think will get stuck?  I think I'm
>>> right in saying that anyone with a C extension should be able to build
>>> them against numpy, by installing the free (as-in-beer) MS tools?  So
>>> do you just mean people needing a Fortran compiler?  That's a small
>>> constituency, I think.
>>
>> Off the top of my head there's SciPy and pymc...
>>
>> Anyway, I'm butting in because I wish this discussion could separate
>> between the user perspective and the developer perspective.
>>
>> FWIW,
>>
>> 1) From a user's perspective, I don't understand this either. If you are
>> already using a closed source, not-free-as-in-beer operating system, why
>> would you not use (or buy!) a closed source, not-free-as-in-beer Fortran
>> compiler?
>
> Indeed. Though I really have no clue on the Windows use cases. Maybe
> most Windows users don't want to compile anything, just
> use numpy and scipy from Python?
>

>> 2) BUT, the argument I've seen that I can at least understand is that
>> the release manager should be able to do a release using only open
>> source tools (even using Wine instead of Windows) and not rely on a
>> limited number of licenses. And that the release manager must be able to
>> perform all the official builds directly.
>
> As the release manager, I really only have two requirements:
>
> * I want to ssh in there from my Ubuntu
> * I want to automate the whole process
>
> For Mac, linux and Wine I can do that. So I have just spend few hours
> browsing the net and it looks like that the combination of Windows
> PowerShell 2.0:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_PowerShell
>
> and some SSH server, there are quite a few, one commercial but free
> for one user one connection (perfect for me!):
>
> http://www.powershellinside.com/powershell/ssh/
>
> So if I understand the pages correctly, I can login there from linux,
> and then I use the PowerShell commands to script anything. It looks
> like I can even use my Fabric fabfiles with powershell:
>
> https://gist.github.com/diyan/2850866
>
> I can also use git with PowerShell:
>
> http://windows.github.com/
> http://haacked.com/archive/2011/12/13/better-git-with-powershell.aspx

Ondrej, you may be interested in some hack I've done to use winrm from
fabric: https://github.com/fabric/fabric/pull/872

It gives a new winrm_run function where you can put any batch command.
While the code is a hack, it works pretty well in practice. This works
from mac os x and linux, without the need for wine, or ssh on windows.

David