[Numpy-discussion] Really cruel draft of vbench setup for NumPy (.add.reduce benchmarks since 2011)

Yaroslav Halchenko lists at onerussian.com
Mon May 6 12:11:53 EDT 2013

On Mon, 06 May 2013, Sebastian Berg wrote:

> > if you care to tune it up/extend and then I could fire it up again on
> > that box (which doesn't do anything else ATM AFAIK).   Since majority of
> > time is spent actually building it (did it with ccache though) it would
> > be neat if you come up with more of benchmarks to run which you might
> > think could be interesting/important.

> I think this is pretty cool! Probably would be a while until there are
> many tests, but if you or someone could set such thing up it could
> slowly grow when larger code changes are done?

that is the idea but it would be nice to gather such simple
benchmark-tests.  if you could hint on the numpy functionality you think
especially worth benchmarking (I know -- there is a lot of things
which could be set to be benchmarked) -- that would be a nice starting
point: just list functionality/functions  you consider of primary
interest. and either it is worth testing for different types or just a
gross estimate (e.g. for the selection of types in a loop)

As for myself -- I guess I will add fancy indexing and slicing tests.

Adding them is quite easy: have a look at
https://github.com/yarikoptic/numpy-vbench/blob/master/vb_reduce.py
which is actually a bit more cumbersome because of running them for
different types.
This one is more obvious:
https://github.com/yarikoptic/numpy-vbench/blob/master/vb_io.py

--