[Numpy-discussion] Numpy beginner tutorial

Nicolas Rougier Nicolas.Rougier at inria.fr
Tue May 7 05:54:38 EDT 2013

Hello everybody,

I've written a numpy beginner tutorial that is available from:

http://www.loria.fr/~rougier/teaching/numpy/numpy.html

It has been designed around cellular automata to try to make it fun.

While writing it, I tried to compile a set of exercises and make them progressively harder. For advanced levels, I thought the easiest way would be to extract simple questions (but more importantly answers) from this very mailing list in order to gather them on a single page. The goal would be both to offer a quick reference for new (and old users) and to provide also a set of exercices for those who teach. However, it's a bit harder than I thought since the mailing list is huge.

I made a separate page for this:

http://www.loria.fr/~rougier/teaching/numpy.100/index.html
(Sources are http://www.loria.fr/~rougier/teaching/numpy.100/index.rst)

(The level names came from an old-game: Dungeon Master)

In order to extract questions/answers and I would need some help, if you have some free time to spare...

If you remember having asked or answered a (short) problem, could you send a link to the relevant post (the one with the answer), or better, write directly the formated entry. Here is an example:

#. Find indices of non-zero elements from [1,2,0,0,4,0]

   .. code:: python

      # Author: Somebody

      print np.nonzero([1,2,0,0,4,0])

If you can provide the (assumed) level of the answer, that would be even better.

Nicolas