[Numpy-discussion] References to Numerical Recipes in Numpy code

MACKEITH Andrew Andrew.MACKEITH at 3ds.com
Wed May 8 13:09:42 EDT 2013

The numpy libraries (numpy/core/machar.py, numpy/fft/info.py, numpy/lib/function_base.py) contain references to "Numerical Recipes: The Art of Scientific Computing".  The book contains a licensing section which states "... Unlicensed transfer of Numerical Recipes programs to any other format is strictly prohibited".  From this we understand that use of the book as a reference is permitted, but copying of code for distribution, whether non-commercially or otherwise is not permitted.   We are wondering if anyone has done an analysis of this situation around numpy, and if so what conclusion they might have reached?

Andrew MacKeith
Python and Scripting Development
Dassault Systemes Simulia Corp.

This email and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may be confidential and/or privileged.

If you are not one of the named recipients or have received this email in error,

(ii) please notify sender of your receipt by reply email and delete this email and all attachments,

(iii) Dassault Systemes does not accept or assume any liability or responsibility for any use of or reliance on this email.

For other languages, go to http://www.3ds.com/terms/email-disclaimer