[Numpy-discussion] www.scipy.org down?

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Thu May 9 10:44:48 EDT 2013

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 3:25 PM, KACVINSKY Tom <Tom.KACVINSKY at 3ds.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately, the Mac OS downloads won't work for us as they install into the system Python.

They actually install in a python installed from python.org, not system

>  We have a custom built Python (2.7.3) so I compiled from source.  I noticed a few things:
>
> 1.  The modules compiled from C source have an extension of .so, not .dylib

.so is the usual extension for python extensions on mac os x

> 2.  I installed nose so I could run the numpy tests, but 0 tests ran.

How did you run nose ?

> 3.  I configured numpy to use MKL as per the instructions on Intel's site, but the build still used the Accelerate framework provided by Apple.

Setting up the MKL is a bit tedious, but essentially, you need to
create a site.cfg in the source tree that looks as follows:

[mkl]
library_dirs = "where the libraries are"
include_dirs = "where the headers are"
libpack_libs = mkl_lapack95
mkl_libs = mkl_intel,mkl_intel_thread, mkl_core, mkl_p4m, mkl_p4p

and (that's the undocumented/buggy part), set ATLAS=1 to disable accelerate.

David