[Numpy-discussion] Newbie trying to install NumPy

Joe Piccoli joe13676 at comcast.net
Sat May 18 01:11:16 EDT 2013

Hello,

I've been trying to install NumPy to run with Eclipse on Windows Vista.
After installing (I thought) NumPy I was seeing:

ImportError: Error importing numpy: you should not try to import numpy from

        its source directory; please exit the numpy source tree, and
relaunch

        your python intepreter from there.

I next tried to follow the instructions from the scipy.org website and
downloaded and ran:

numpy-1.7.1-win32-superpack-python27.exe

This started up but I immediately saw the following dialog:

---------------------------

Cannot install

---------------------------

Python version 2.7 required, which was not found in the registry.

---------------------------

OK

The next dialog prompted for a Python installation to use but the list box
was empty and it would not allow me to enter a path.

Is it absolutely necessary to build NumPy myself or is there a working
installation out there? I know I'm doing something wrong but I don't know
what it is. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated :).

Thanks,

Joseph A. Piccoli

joe13676 at comcast.net