[Numpy-discussion] Effect of deprecating non-integers for integer function arguments

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Fri May 31 16:32:20 EDT 2013

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 2:08 PM, Sebastian Berg
<sebastian at sipsolutions.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the current numpy master has deprecated non-integers for the use of
> indexing (not-fancy yet). However I think this should be moved further
> down in the numpy machinery which means that the conversion utils
> provided by numpy would generally raise warnings for non-integers.
>
> This means that for most numpy functions such as reshape, etc. the use
> of non-integers for arguments that are naturally integers is deprecated,
> which may also affect third party code in principle.
>
> Testing this against current SciPy appearently causes 56 failures (with
> deprecation warnings being raised). Are other project similarly affect
> by this change?

I haven't checked for statsmodels, but I would consider it a bug on
our side if we have implicit conversion to integers. We might still
have some left in older code but changed already most of them.
I just wrote code like this (upp are quantiles in (0, 1))

m_upp = [x[:int(np.round(upp_ * nobs))].mean(0) for upp_ in upp]

I don't think we use non-integers for reshape.

Josef