[Numpy-discussion] Caution about using intrisincs, and other 'advanced' optimizations

Julian Taylor jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 15 14:47:22 EST 2013

> Will do, but the errors I am seeing only appear in the
> simc.inc.src-based implementation of BOOL_logical_or (they disappear if
> I disable the simd intrinsics manually in the numpy headers).

that is because the simd code always looks at the stride (as it only can
run with unit strides) while the simple loop doesn't if the dimension is 1.

GCC 4.1 is older than python2.5 which we do not support anymore in numpy
>= 1.8.
If you insist on using a buggy old compiler one could always use numpy 1.7.

Also intrinsics are not more prone to compiler bugs than any other code,
so I see no reason to special case them.
The code itself is more prone bugs due to its higher complexity in some
parts, but I think it is reasonably well tested.