[Numpy-discussion] Silencing NumPy output

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 17:49:58 EST 2013

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 7:41 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 7:28 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 6:21 PM, Charles R Harris <
> charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Sure, give it a shot. Looks like subprocess.Popen was intended to
> replace os.system in any case.
> >
> > Except that output is not 'real time' with straight Popen, and doing so
> reliably on every platform (cough - windows - cough) is not completely
> trivial. You also have to handle buffered output, etc... That code is very
> fragile, so this would be quite a lot of testing to change, and I am not
> sure it worths it.
>
> It doesn't have to be "real time". Just use .communicate() and print out
> the stdout and stderr to their appropriate streams after the subprocess
> finishes.

Indeed, it does not have to be, but that's useful for debugging compilation
issues (not so much for numpy itself, but for some packages which have
files that takes a very long time to build, like scipy.sparsetools or
bottleneck).

That's a minor point compared to the potential issues when building on
windows, though.

David