[Numpy-discussion] Caution about using intrisincs, and other 'advanced' optimizations

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sat Nov 16 07:04:18 EST 2013

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 8:47 PM, Julian Taylor <
jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com> wrote:

> > Will do, but the errors I am seeing only appear in the
> > simc.inc.src-based implementation of BOOL_logical_or (they disappear if
> > I disable the simd intrinsics manually in the numpy headers).
> >

> that is because the simd code always looks at the stride (as it only can
> run with unit strides) while the simple loop doesn't if the dimension is 1.
>
> GCC 4.1 is older than python2.5 which we do not support anymore in numpy
> >= 1.8.
> If you insist on using a buggy old compiler one could always use numpy 1.7.

Compiler age and Python version are not equivalent. The former is much
harder to upgrade, and much more depends on it for a user. OS X still ships
gcc 4.2, and the default compiler for Python 2.6 on OS X is gcc 4.0 which
we definitely still support. On Windows we even need gcc 3.4.5 until we
find the right way to get rid of it.

Ralf

> Also intrinsics are not more prone to compiler bugs than any other code,
> so I see no reason to special case them.

The code itself is more prone bugs due to its higher complexity in some