[Numpy-discussion] 1.8.0rc1

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Wed Oct 2 05:04:09 EDT 2013

This is a complicated issue to describe but i think the bottom line is that
the test is just wonky here. the behaviour it's checking for is:
wrong in old numpy, but we do it anyway (bug)
wrong in current numpy without RELAXED_STRIDES, and we get it right (I.e.
don't do it, fixed bug)
correct in current numpy with RELAXED_STRIDES (and I think the test will
pass if you build 1.8 this way?) (fixed bug again, since the definition of
"correct" flipped)
correct in future numpys

(@seberg, does that look right?)

I guess maybe we could go back and make sure it stays broken in 1.8, but
it's probably not worth the trouble because this is such a corner case.
Nothing real is going to break because of this AFAICT.

-n