[Numpy-discussion] Equivalent to IDL's help function

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Mon Oct 7 13:43:25 EDT 2013

The other answers tell you how to access Python's excellent quick reference
documentation, but from your examples I'm not sure if that's what you're
looking for? If you just want to know what value some variable has at the
interactive prompt, just type its name and hit enter. (This is a general
feature of the prompt: it shows you the value returned by whatever you
type, whether that be a single variable or a complex expression.)

Some other useful commands: dir(x), type(x)

-n