[Numpy-discussion] RFC: is it worth giving a lightning talk at PyCon 2014 on numpy vbench-marking?

Yaroslav Halchenko lists at onerussian.com
Tue Oct 15 12:13:24 EDT 2013

Hi Guys,

PyCon 2014 will be just around the corner from where I am, so I decided
to attend.  Being lazy (or busy) I haven't submitted any big talk but thinking
to submit few lightning talks (just 5 min and 400 characters abstract limit),
and I think it might be worth letting people know about my little project.  I
would really appreciate your sincere feedback (e.g. "not worth it" would be
valuable too).  Here is the title/abstract

    numpy-vbench -- speed benchmarks for NumPy

    http://yarikoptic.github.io/numpy-vbench provides collection of speed
    performance benchmarks for NumPy.  Benchmarking of multiple
    maintenance and current development branches allows not only to timely
    react to new performance regressions, but also to compare NumPy
    performance across releases.  Your contributions would help to
    guarantee that your code does not become slower with a new NumPy
    release.

btw -- fresh results are here http://yarikoptic.github.io/numpy-vbench/ .

I have tuned benchmarking so it now reflects the best performance across
multiple executions of the whole battery, thus eliminating spurious
variance if estimate is provided from a single point in time.  Eventually I
expect many of those curves to become even "cleaner".

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko, Ph.D.
http://neuro.debian.net http://www.pymvpa.org http://www.fail2ban.org