[Numpy-discussion] "official" binaries on web page.

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Tue Oct 22 16:44:51 EDT 2013

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 9:36 AM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:
> You can argue with the exact wording,

I won't argue, I'll suggest an alternative in a pull request...

> but the layout of that page is on
> purpose. scipy.org is split into two parts: (a) a SciPy Stack part, and (b)
> a numpy & scipy library part. You're looking at the stack part, and the
> preferred method to install that stack is a Python distribution.

I'm not sure who decided that that's the "preferred" way, but If we
take that as a given, maybe that page is fine. However:

> If you look at the library part, the binary installers are at the top of the
> page: http://www.scipy.org/scipylib/download.html

But finding that page is not obvious. Simple usability:

I know what the heck I'm looking at -- I've been using numpy, and
numeric before it for something like 15 years. But I just went to grab
a new binary, and had a heck of a time finding it -- I'm pretty sure I
ended up remembering that the downloads are on sourceforge and looking
there. And I've been teaching lately, and my students are having
trouble finding them, too.

If you google "numpy" you get the numpy.org page as the first hit

If you go to numpy.org, there is a "geting numpy" link, that takes you to:

http://www.scipy.org/install.html

There is also a "Installing NumPy and SciPy" link that takes you to
that same page.

There is a link to the sourceforge page further won, but no indication
of why you would want to go there.

So I still have no idea how I would find:

http://www.scipy.org/scipylib/download.html

So I submit that we could fix this up a bit....

(off to do a pull request)

-Chris