[Numpy-discussion] "official" binaries on web page.

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Wed Oct 23 15:50:41 EDT 2013

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am arguing that whether it's a good idea or not, according to us, is
> not going affect the guys and gals in Group 2, and that, unless we
> want to lose or discourage those people, we'll always need to support
> (and give mind- and page-space to) community-built binary installers.

Indeed, and also web pages that make it easy to find them, and clear
what you are or aren't getting in each case.

When updating the scipy site, we do need to keep in mind that people
often (most often?) come into a particular page via a link from
elsewhere or a search -- i.e. they haven't read the home page, etc. So
even if a page is about how to install the entire scipy stack, folks
that are searching for just numpy, etc should find what they need --
or links to what they need.

This makes me think: apparently there is an offical "scipy stack" --
and I even found it with a quick google:

http://www.scipy.org/stackspec.html

There is not a whole lot there, and all the packages in it either
currently provide binary installers (or aren't all that hard to build,
or Chris Gohlke has built them). So maybe we should have a single
point of download for a "community" scipy stack, compatible with the
python.org python install.

All of the hard work has been done -- we just need to set it up
somewhere (and maintain it)

-Chris

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov