[Numpy-discussion] [Pythonmac-SIG] Building extension modules with Xcode 5

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal chris.barker at noaa.gov
Fri Oct 25 20:19:02 EDT 2013

Oops!

Wrong list--darn auto complete!

Sorry about that,

Chris

On Oct 25, 2013, at 5:08 PM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

Ned,

I think this fell off the list (I really don't like when reply is not set
to the list...)

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 4:33 PM, Ned Deily <nad at acm.org> wrote:

> On Oct 25, 2013, at 15:17 , Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 7:29 PM, Ned Deily <nad at acm.org> wrote:
> > I'm really confused here.   Using the current 2.7.5 64-bit installer
> (from
> > May) on 10.8.5 with Xcode 5.0.1 works just fine for me.
> >
> > I'm not on 10.8 or XCode5, but does it make a difference whether you
> installed XCode 5 after Xcode 4? i.e. someone may have gcc4.2 around form
> XCode 4, but not if they installed XCode 5 on a raw machine.
>
> Not that I know of.  gcc-4.2 is a red herring as far as I can tell.
>  Distutils has known how to deal with a missing compiler for a couple of
> releases now.

Good to know -- I know I really need to move forward -- I wonder if there
is an XCode5 for 10.6? pProbably not -- but for some screwy reason Apple
does not provide a free XCode4 for 10.6, either (though you can hack the
installer for 10.7 ...

> However, I did just realize that I had forgotten about a problem when
> using the current 32-bit-only installers with Xcode 5.  I've just posted
> about that; it's described now in http://bugs.python.org/issue19400
>
> Good to fix that, but does anyone need it anymore?

Though I use it when I need to force 32 bit, even on a 64 bit system (I'm
working with some not-64-bit safe C++ code...)

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov