[Numpy-discussion] can argmax be used to return row and column indices?

Mark Bakker markbak at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 04:27:35 EDT 2013

Thanks, Gregorio.
I would like it if argmax had a keyword option to return the row,column
index automatically (or whatever the dimension of the array).
Afterall, argmax already knows the shape of the array.
Calling np.unravel_index( np.argmax( A ) ) seems unnecessarily long. But it
works well though!
I am not sure that such a PR would get much support....
Thanks again,
Mark

Hi Mark,

> You're looking for "np.unravel_index" function.
>
> Cheers,
> Gregorio

Hello list,