[Numpy-discussion] Binary releases

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 21:04:15 EDT 2013

Hi All,

Numpy 1.8 is about ready for an rc1, which brings up the question of which
binary builds so put up on sourceforge. For Windows maybe

   1. 32 bit windows, python 2.6, 2.7, 3.2, 3.3, compiled with MSVC
   2. 64 bit windows, python 2.6, 2.7, 3.2, 3.3, compiled with MSVC, linked
   with MKL

I think these should be good for both windows 7 and window 8, correct me if
I am wrong. For Mac there is first the question of OS X versions, (10.5?),
10.6, 10.7, 10.8. I don't know if some builds work on more than one OS X
version. The 10.5 version is a bit harder to come by than 10.6 and up. It
looks like 10.9 is coming up, but it isn't out yet. I have no idea what
Python version to match up these, but assuming all of them, then

   1. OS X 10.6  python 2.6, 2.7, 3.2, 3.3, compiled with native compiler,
   linked with Accelerate.
   2. OS X 10.7  python 2.6, 2.7, 3.2, 3.3, compiled with native compiler,
   linked with Accelerate.
   3. OS X 10.8  python 2.6, 2.7, 3.2, 3.3, compiled with native compiler,
   linked with Accelerate.

That seems like a lot. It is fairly easy to compile from source on the mac
these days, are all those binary packages really needed?

I don't know what I am doing with the binary stuff, so any suggestions are
welcome.

For building it is possible to set up a Macintosh with vmware fusion to
handle all of these, but there is time and money involved in that. Any one
who is already capable of doing some of these builds is welcome to
volunteer. Note, Intel has offered MKL licenses to the open source projects
under the NumFocus umbrella, but I don't know of anyone who has taken
advantage of that yet or how much time it will take to go through the
undoubtedly needed paper work, but I would like to get some of those
licenses and move to MSVC so that we can stop rolling around gasping in
pain whenever it comes to window builds. Then there is Fortran for
windows...

Thoughts?

Chuck